Wednesday, February 16, 2011

I have never knitted anything before...I have crocheted a few scarves and attempted a few baby blankets, but that's all.   I didn't really love it and I guess I was too lazy to learn more that the basic stitch.  I did have "The Idiot's Guide to Crochet and Knitting" (thanks, Mom...I think), but I am not someone who can learn crafts from a book.  Especially that one.  No diagrams?  No thanks.  My cousin is an amazing knitter, and I got tired of seeing her projects and wishing I could make something like that.
I finally decided that instead of saying "someday I will learn to knit", I would just DO it.  With pending unemployment on my mind (thankfully this is resolved for now), I needed a distraction.  Soooo...I bit the bullet, bought an easy beginners' kit, some yarn, and viola!  I will say the guide is pretty good, but YouTube is saving my life at the moment so I can actually SEE what I am supposed to do.  I spent Monday night doing practice stitches.  After several hours of yelling "son of a b***" at my knitting needles, and going cross eyed, I decided it was time to tackle more than just a small square.  Time for something bigger!
My first project?  A scarf, duh.  Gotta stick with what I'm comfortable with.  So I have been working on it for 2 nights...so far so good!  I'll post pics later, once my camera battery recharges.
You can follow me on my knitting journey if you like...I hope to be making more than scarves soon!
Because, let's face it, people only need one home-made scarf. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment