Monday, January 30, 2012

Sugar and Spice and Everything Nice...

That's what little girls are made of!  As I've mentioned before, lots of baby girls on the way!  Yesterday I went to the baby shower for my cousin K (actually my husband's cousin, but I consider her mine too).  She is expecting her baby girl "R" in March!  Lots of pink and purple yesterday.  And ruffles.  And bows.  And extreme cuteness!  I made Baby R a blanket, matching hat and booties, a sweater, and a mini blanket.  On the Wednesday before the shower I decided she needed that mini-blanket so I was able to put that together in record time!  So glad I did, I think it's nice to have a smaller blanket to put over her in the car seat or swing or bouncer or whatever, when you don't want the big bulky cover.
Mommy K seemed to really like it, and I was pretty proud of my work, too.  I loved the patterns and colors I chose, too.
Here's the big blanket.  I did a diagonal pattern that uses increases which create a beautiful eyelet type border.

Next is the matching baby hat.  After I made it I decided it needed a little sass, so I learned really quickly how to knit a rose.  Voila!
The sweater wasn't exactly how I thought it would come out.  I thought it would be more striped, but this was what I got.
And finally, the mini-blankie.  No matter how many times I make it people never get sick of this basket weave stitch.  Looks soooo complicated but if you can knit, purl and count, you can do it!
I was pretty nervous about giving these as gifts because it was the first time I made some baby stuff where I'd see the mommy to be actually OPEN the gift.  I knew K would like them, but still I was nervous because I am still a novice.  Well, I didn't need to worry, I got a lot of compliments.  Yay!
I am going to take a quick break from the gift-making and make a little something for myself for once.  Yes, seriously.  I am going to attempt to make a seed-stitch hat.  I have the stitches cast on and everything!  February vacation I will concentrate on Baby J and Baby W.  Both girls.  Lots more girly colors to come!  Good thing the hat I am making is blue and not pink. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment